Short-term Income Protection Insurance: Exclusions
The main instances when you will not be covered are:-
Accident and Sickness
- Any pre-existing medical condition that you are aware of, or have received treatment for during the 12 months immediately prior to the start date of this policy.
This exclusion is waived (except for chronic conditions) if you have been symptom free for a period of no less than 24 months before the start date of any claim.
- Back related conditions are covered for up to 3 months without the need for supplying radiological evidence, after this period radiological evidence must be provided.
- Any mental or nervous disorder unless diagnosed by a Community Mental Health Team or Consultant Psychiatrist.
- Normal pregnancy or childbirth unless there are medical complications.
- Awareness of unemployment at the start date of your policy.
- Being made unemployed, being aware of being made unemployed or being in receipt of verbal or written notice of unemployment within the Initial Exclusion Period. The Initial Exclusion Period is always shown on your Schedule of Insurance. The following rule will be applied unless you have been accepted with an extended or reduced Initial Exclusion Period:
- within 120 days of the start
If you are transferring from another provider this initial exclusion period may be waived.
- If your work was seasonal, casual or temporary.
- If you are self-employed and your business has not been registered as having ceased to trade with HM Revenue & Customs as a direct result of being unable to pay its debits as and when they fall due.
- You are made unemployed at the end of a fixed term contract unless you have been:-
- Employed continuously by the same employer for at least 2 consecutive years; or
- Employed on a fixed-contract for at least 1 year which has been renewed at least once; or
- Employed originally on a permanent basis by the same employer but were subsequently transferred to a fixed-term contract by the employer without a break in employment.
- If you resign, accept voluntary redundancy or retire.
- Any period of unemployment where you are not registered as unemployed with the Jobcentre.
This list is not exhaustive and you should read the Policy Wording for full list of exclusions.
If you are self-employed, a company director, a contract worker or have more than one job, please ensure that you read the Policy Wording in full as certain restrictions apply when claiming unemployment benefit.